Do you prefer a trash bag with ot without a draw string?

Monday, February 15, 2010

We've Lost The Knack

"Oooo, you make my motor run, my motor run ...gun it comin' off of the line, Sharona."

Doug Fieger, lead singer of The Knack, died yesterday after a long battle with cancer. He was 57 years old. The Knack was formed in 1978, the group broke onto the music scene in the summer of 1979 with their debut album entitled " Get The Knack." All music buffs are familiar with their first chart single and biggest hit, My Sharona, a song Fieger co-wrote about his then girlfriend of 4 years. I wore this album out, when I was in my mid 20s it was one of my favorites.

The group failed to duplicate the success of their debut album, critical backlash against their controversial lyrics ( which are rather tame when one listens to todays music ) and group infighting led to disbanding. But they were a big part of the power pop music that bridged the 70s to the great music of the 80s. Their music also helped to drive a stake through the heart of disco, for that reason alone we should all be thankful.

Perhaps it is a bittersweet irony that a rocker whose biggest hit was about the love of his life should pass on Valentines Day. Thank you for the great music and R I P ( Rock In Paradise) Doug Fieger.....

No comments:

Post a Comment