Do you prefer a trash bag with ot without a draw string?

Monday, September 20, 2010

6 Year Old Girls, Tight Skirts, and Booty Shaking

“Our backs ache, our skirts are too tight, we shake our booties from left to right…”

I coached 3 different girls' sports as my daughters were growing up, perhaps the most gratifying feedback that I ever received came from the mother of a young lady. " John, the girls had fun playing for you and more importantly, you never damaged anyone's self esteem." This brings me to today's commentary....

Did you see the story of the 6 year old girl who was kicked off a cheerleading squad in Madison Heights, Michigan? Her mother raised concerns over a cheer that the squad was doing which included the line at the top of the blog. Now I'm a live and let live kind of guy, a social liberal who often finds himself in agreement with Michael Moore ( we bespectacled, fat guys have got to stick together). But any coach or adult that supports young girls performing this cheer ( and the majority of the organization did )is, in my humble opinion, a FREAKING MORON!

At age 40 I found myself suddenly single and thrust into the dating game. Many is the night that I sat acrossed the dinner table from a lady who bemoaned the fact that most men wanted her for " one thing." I can't help but feel that some of the 30ish mothers who saw nothing wrong with the sexually suggestive cheer will be single in the future, verbalizing the very same thing about men.

There are so many cheers kids could do that would be more age appropriate. There is already far too much objectification of women in our society. It certainly does not need to start at age 6. Peace to all...John :-)

1 comment:

  1. "Our backs ache, our skirts are too tight, we shake our booties from left to right,"

    Don't get me started. First of all, what does THIS cheer have to do with ANY sport, and I don't care whether it's 4 year old T-ball or high school football. It makes no sense! How does bootie shaking even compare with "1st and 10, do it again!" which actually makes sense. Ack...I could go on an on but since your blog I'll settle for backing you up 100% on this one.

    Also... nice to see you blogging again John. It's been a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete